134 Washington St.
24 hours a day
7 Days a week
Home or Hospital
Fortuna & Cartelli, P.C.
134 Washington Street
Middletown, CT 06457
Carl P. Fortuna, Jr. is a managing partner of the firm with extensive experience in corporate and business matters, and is also experienced in criminal, family, mortgage financing, personal injury and real estate law.
He is a graduate of Fordham University School of Law and was admitted to the bar in Connecticut (1988), New York (1988), and US District Court District of Connecticut (1996).
Prior to his work at Fortuna & Cartelli, P.C., Mr. Fortuna was an Associate Attorney with Martin Clearwater & Bell, a nationally-recognized insurance defense firm for five years. Mr. Fortuna has extensive litigation experience.
Approximately 50% of his practice is devoted to litigation matters. His experience includes trying numerous cases to conclusion in all aspects of his practice as well as negotiating valuable and beneficial settlements prior to trial.
Attorney Carl P. Fortuna, Jr. recently handled a matter where a motorcyclist suffered sever leg injuries in a collision with a motor vehicle making a left turn. Later, it was discovered that the motorcyclist was racing against a friend. Despite this significant factor, a settlement of $175,000 was secured after the suit was instituted.
Other matters of interest handled or currently being handled by Attorney Carl P. Fortuna, Jr. include:
- Gauze left inside a client's nasal passage after a procedure, leading to a $60,000 malpractice settlement.
- Consulting on a medical negligence case involving the death of a mother of four young children.
- The representation of a Rhode Island father who had every other weekend visitation with his son, who lived in Connecticut with the mother/ex-wife. Mother then seeks to move to North Carolina with her new husband and two children. Attorney Fortuna challenged said move and, after a five day trial in Middletown, the Court ordered custody to the father in Rhode Island.
- The representation of a small business owner in New Britain, Connecticut on Federal Tax evasion charges. After a plea agreement, Attorney Fortuna successfully argued for a deviation downward from the Federal Sentencing Guidelines resulting in the client receiving probation, not incarceration.
- The representation through jury trial and appeal of an elderly couple rear ended while stopped at a light on highway 9 in Middletown, Connecticut.
- The successful representation of a State Marshall arrested for pulling out a gun in Stop & Shop in Middletown, Connecticut. The Marshall kept his employment.
Attorney Fortuna worked in New York City for five years defending doctors and hospitals in malpractice suits. He also maintains a very active real estate and small business clientele.
In addition to practicing law, Mr. Fortuna was a teacher from 1995-2001 with the People's Law School teaching personal injury and family law. He is extremely active in social and civic affairs, including the Old Saybrook Republican Town Committee, and has held leadership positions as Chairman of the Old Saybrook Board of Finance (2001-2002), Vice Chairman of the Statewide Grievance Committee (1999-2003), and Secretary of the Middlesex County Bar Association (1998-2001). Mr. Fortuna is also involved with various bar associations, including the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association and the Connecticut Bar Association.
Current Employment Position(s): Managing Partner / Owner
Areas of Practice:
Corporate / Business
Divorce / Child Support / Custody
Litigation Percentage: 50% of practice devoted to litigation
New York, 1988
US District Court District of Connecticut, 1996
Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York, 1988 J.D.
Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, 1985 B.A.
Honors: Cum Laude
Major: History and Philosophy
Classes / Seminars Taught: Peoples Law School, CTLA, 1995 - 2001
Professional Associations and Memberships:
Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, 1996 - 2003 Member
Connecticut Bar Association, 1990 - 2001 Member
Middlesex County Bar Association, 1998 - 2003 Secretary
Old Saybrook Board of Finance, 2001 - 2003 Chairman
Statewide Grievance Committee, 1998 - 2003 Vice Chair
Statewide Grievance Committee, 1998 - 2003 Member
Old Saybrook Republican Town Committee, 1997 - 2003 Member
Past Employment Positions: Martin Clearwater & Bell, Associate Attorney, 1988 - 1992
Birth Information: 1962, Middletown, Connecticut, United States of America
Quality aggressive legal representation serving your needs since 1954!
If you have questions regarding your legal rights, please contact us.